Fleet Manager Job Description
In the transport companies, the fleet manager is a role that is becoming increasingly important.
The manager plays a fundamental role in the company by applying his knowledge in logistics, operations, and information technology to meet the established objectives.
Fleet managers are responsible for selecting and maintaining vehicles in perfect condition to carry out the objectives within the established schedule and costs.
To be successful, a good fleet manager needs significant experience and skills in logistics operations and software to monitor both fleets and drivers.
What are the Functions of a fleet manager?
The main functions of a fleet manager are as follows:
Financing and purchase of vehicles
- The fleet manager is in charge of making the relevant decisions on the type of cars to buy, as well as the quantity and distribution.
- A company dedicated to the transport of live animals, for example, will have different needs than a company dedicated to the transportation of frozen merchandise.
- At the end of the useful life of the vehicles, the fleet manager is also in charge of reselling it to recover the investment as much as possible.
Organization and management of drivers
- Drivers are essential in the transportation business.
- The manager must ensure that the drivers in their care have excellent driving skills.
- As otherwise, they can cause delays in delivery, mechanical problems in vehicles, or even unnecessary costs through fines.
- The fleet manager is also in charge of maintaining the vehicles throughout their useful life, trying to keep them in the best possible condition. So that they are as efficient as possible within the objectives of the company.
- While some large companies will have their manufacturing centers to carry out maintenance, other smaller companies outsource it to external workshops.
- The manager is in charge of making these types of decisions, always seeking the highest profitability.
The fleet manager is in charge of optimizing through telematics systems various parameters of vehicle management, for example:
- Several drivers are operating.
- Number of vehicles in transit.
In this way, you can meet customer needs while optimizing fleet resources
What are the main features?
A good manager must have the following characteristics:
- You must have organizational capabilities to organize the activity of the entire fleet.
- You must have excellent communication skills to communicate efficiently with the whole workforce.
- And also, You must have negotiation skills to obtain the maximum benefit at the time of sale.
- You should be able to analyze large amounts of data without losing focus on detail.
What are the Tools of a fleet manager?
Software and computer tools (both monitoring and diagnostic) are essential for fleet management.
As they facilitate the registration and collection of all car data, finding behavior patterns that help reduce expenses, and find optimization opportunities.
Also Read: How to Change your Youtube Channel Name? – Create a Brand Account